What is an Apprenticeship?
An Apprenticeship is a practical, hands on training program where you are paid while you learn. As an apprentice you are contracted to an employer to learn all about your chosen trade and become qualified in that trade. The apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job practical training and off-the-job structured training at a Registered Training Organisation, such as MPA Skills.
The term of a Painting and Decorating apprenticeship is 4 years. This includes off-the-job training. In Western Australia apprenticeships are delivered under a competency based flexible training system. Workplace and off-the-job training and assessment procedures have been introduced based on the skills the apprentice should acquire over the term of the apprenticeship.
MPA Skills is considered by many to be the best industry apprenticeship program and also offers professional recruitment of apprentices to employers for short and long term period through its Group Training Organisation.
The Painting Apprenticeship is offered at our Maylands Campus.
(A day in the life of a Stage 6 Painting and Decorating Apprentice at MPA Skills).
Looking to the future
On completion of an apprenticeship, a trades person can start developing their experience. Their long-term goals may include:
- To set up his/her own business
- Become a supervisor or estimator
- Enter the sales and marketing or product development fields
Click on the links below for more information including:
- 2021 Stationery & Tool requirements
- Employer Authority to Invoice Form
- Trade Loan Scheme
- Certificate Re-issue Request Form
Further Apprenticeship Information
- Travel Form (Flights Only)
- Notice to Update Personal Information with Apprenticeship Office
- Notice to Vary Training Contract (Change Training Provider)
- Notice to Extend Training Contract
- Notice to Terminate Training Contract
- Training Plan Fact Sheet and VET Regulations
MPA Skills Course Fees for government subsidised training – Apprenticeships and Pre-Apprenticeships
The indicative qualification fees include projected CPI adjustments
**Please note, the below figures only show the Course Fee amount. Training Fees are made up of a Course & Resource Fee. To view the total fees payable for training please go to the Apprenticeship section of this website where it will break down the exact amount payable.
- Click here for a summary of the current results of our Employer and Learner Surveys
- Click for more information on VET training